Everyone has been hearing about online social networking. Some are participating in it, others are on the fence, wondering if it really produces results. Well, the answer to that question is yes... only if you work it.
I'm a very social person and I love to network, especially when it's online and so convenient. However, it's not enough to just "link" to people or add "friends" and be done with it. You really need to nurture those connections. Here are my tips on how to use online networking effectively.
1. Have an accurate profile. Make sure all your information is current. That will help you connect with people more easily.
2. Know your vehicle. Example, if you are using linked in, know what linked in has to offer. For instance, they have groups that you can link to such as former schools and organizations. This is a great way to connect to old friends, roommates, colleagues or to just connect with link minded people.
3. Once you send out an invitation and it's accepted, you are connected to that person. But being connected is not enough. Establish a rapport with that person. If they are local, set up a lunch or coffee. Face to face networking is unbeatable.
4. Check your profile frequently. It doesn't take long to log on and see what's going on in your "community."
5. Have fun making connections and be of help to those in your network because it's not so much what you want to get out of it, it's about what you can give. That is the true way to connect.
Have fun online! Let me know how you're doing.